+44 1337 email@example.com
In 1845, the Edinburgh & Northern railway company was formed, the plan being to construct and operate a line stretching across Fife, linking Edinburgh with Dundee, St. Andrews and the North.
In 1882, ‘minor construction contracts were awarded for the building of Anstruther station costing £817 8s 1d and the two keeper’s cottages at Thirdpart Railway Crossing and Kirkmay for £214 11s 8d each’.
On 1st September 1883 the line from Anstruther to Boarhills opened and the last section to St. Andrews finally opened on 1st July 1887.
On 4th August 1914, war was declared and the NBR came under government control. Passenger trains became very restricted during the war and many stations closed temporarily.
In 1930, the 4 stations to the north of Crail were closed, at Kingsbarns, Boarhills, Stravithie and Mount Melville. Passenger and freight traffic continued to decline, until, on the 6th September 1965 the railway line was finally closed down.
The Railway Act of 1845 introduced the law that all railway property must be adequately fenced off from the public. Some railways had gated level crossings, each attended by a company 'policeman'. In the latter part of the 19th century, the electric telegraph was introduced enabling gate keepers to be advised of an approaching train.
In the case of Thirdpart Railway Crossing, the North British Railways 1922 General Appendix stated:
“Telephonic communication has been provided between Thirdpart Railway level crossing and Crail. All trains must signal from Crail to the crossing as follows:
When leaving Crail: 2 rings; when leaving Anstruther: 3 rings – the number of rings to be repeated by the level crossing keeper”.